Tuesday 15 February 2011

Gingerbread

Has anyone been watching the Hairy Bikers, Mums Still Know Best programme?  I love the way they are encouraging people to try the old faithful recipes that we all grew up on.  The things that make us smile fondly and remember our childhoods with nostalgic love.  The recipes that our grandparents used, not to mention the things that our mothers made.  The smells that take you right back to coming in from school and knowing that a slice of proper Victoria sponge was waiting for you - or hot from the pan Scotch pancakes.  That visit to your Grans where you knew a coconut tart was going to be in the cake tin that had your name on it!!  Or a butterfly bun (not cupcakes then!! does that show my age?!!).  Do kids get that nowadays?  I don't know.  So few people seem to cook, let alone bake that I have the utmost respect for what the Hairy Bikers are doing.

So, in honour of them, I grabbed my recipe book and made my Gran's Yorkshire Gingerbread.  Soft, sticky and beautifully gingery.  Nothing fancy about that - just a good old trip down memory lane!!  Next, coconut tarts I think.
Nostalgia on a plate!


(And not a sign of Angel Delight anywhere - and that's a memory trip for my strange sister who still thinks of the flourescent coloured, gloopy, artificial tasting stuff fondly!!  Indeed, I do believe, in her weirdness, she still buys it!!  She has been out-ed!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment