Thursday 3 February 2011

Bread

Dough!  Looking lovely and squishy and ready to bake.

I'm meant to be starting on building the business but surely that involves experimenting with new recipes??? I've just invested in the River Cottage Bread Book and it has been worth every penny.  Not only does it give a really good breakdown of the whole bread making process, from dough to kneading, shaping to baking, but the recipes are very good too!  The soda bread was scrummy and so easy to make so I've moved onto the standard loaf.  Is it weird to find the whole process of kneading and shaping the dough so satisfying and relaxing?!! Is it just me or is that a bread makers opinion too....

I think homemade bread will become a staple of The Bakehouse's catering activities!  I mean, why would you buy it when it tastes so damn fine when you've made the effort to make it yourself?!  And, besides, who doesn't love homemade bread?! The scope for experimenting is huge!!  Focaccia, sourdough, gluten and wheat free, fruited, hot cross buns, bagels...... I could go on forever!  My mouth is watering at the thought.  The latest addition to the repertoire is a basic baton style wholemeal loaf.  I have perfected a seeded cob style loaf too which makes great toast!  Good way to start the day if you ask me, with a good dollop of peanut butter and home-made raspberry jam.  Does it get any better than that?!
Bread ... the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment