Monday 18 April 2011

Tea and Gingerbread Houses

The pink one is my fav!! It deserved to be preserved for ever!! Thanks Juls!
It has been a bit of a busy week or so, what with dog sitting and allotment digging, extra shifts at work and gig going, so the baking and cooking have taken a bit of a back seat.  The old faithful jacket potato and salads a-plenty have taken the place of kitchen creativity.  Not that you can beat a good old jacket spud, baked in the oven for hours until it is crispy on the outside and squidgy in the middle!  It is a wee taste of food heaven I will confess.  Yum....I'm slavering just thinking about it.  Think that may be dinner sorted tonight!  Anyway, I digress.
I did find a lonesome quartet of Gingerbread Ladies and Houses nestled in a tin: the last vestiges of the monster baking spree for Dairsie Does Different.  They just begged to be discussed - and munched post veggie patch digging session!  Is there anything lovelier than a home baked, artistically decorated Gingerbread House and a strong cup of tea, I wonder?!  Made even better with good company and the promise of a summer as the sun beat down.  I love the simplicity and comfort of a good home-made gingerbread biscuit.  Crunchy, spicy and syrupy all at once.  And oh, the ginger kick...it soothes the soul!  They never fail to satisfy and bring a smile. Summer or winter, they suit and improve a day.  The kind of food my gran made and my mum still makes - and a dying art.  Comfort food at its' very best.  And on that note, I may have to depart to the kitchen to bake a batch before I head to the allotment to plant my onions (Red Baron red ones, if anyone is interested!).

No comments:

Post a Comment