Friday 27 January 2012

The not so humble pasty

I've been experimenting with one of my latest cook book purchases, River Cottage Veg Everyday by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.  It is a real change for him as no meat features at all.  A good thing for me!  I haven't purchased a cook book of late where I'm inspired to cook something from virtually every page.  Although, the book may be simple at times, and indeed perfect if you are a new veggie, it has inspired me to make use of ingredients I forget how much I love.  And, I want to cook rather than bake.  Unusual!

The first recipe I ventured into the kitchen to try was his swede and potato pasties.  Let's face it, who doesn't love a pasty!!  And, as a bonus, I had both veggies in the kitchen that needed a good dish so was a perfect recipe!  It was also a first for me as I made the rough puff pastry he offered as the crispy, flaky packaging for the simple yet tasty filling.  The Great British Bake Off (oh, how I miss that programme!) had planted the seed for trying to make my own rough puff - and can I say, it was simpler than I thought and so worth the effort.  So yummy I'm going to make it more often.

Anyway, a subtle almost Cornish pasty-type filling -without the meat - was the central focus of the pasty.  Cubed potato, swede (or turnip if you hail from Scotland!), onion and carrot - and that was it with just a wee bit o' seasoning to enhance the flavour.  Doesn't have to be complicated to make a fantastic supper.   Served with a green salad, it was lovely.  Going to make it a regular occurance on the dinner table - and, those who know me well will not be surprised by this, but I'm going to fiddle with it!  I'm thinking a wee bit of curry powder would be grand or maybe a change of veg to include leek, sweet potato and maybe a mushroom or too would be tasty.

Here are the pics to get the taste buds working (hopefully!):

the filling!  Lovely swede, potato, onion and carrot.  It's all about the veggies!

all egg washed and read to bake

lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment